After the World Wars, the nature of the village
gradually changed to become a dormitory and residential
centre. This was reflected in the life of the church.
New trustees in 1949 were mainly people from elsewhere
in the local Methodist circuit.
Nevertheless, the 1950s saw
expansion at Pett. A plot of land
next to the old building was bequeathed to the
church, along with a donation of £50 for an extension
fund. Since the plot included a well, arrangements had
to be made for a new water supply to the neighbouring
Initial plans for a new schoolroom costing £1000 soon
became plans for a new chapel with a budget of £2500.
Grants from the circuit and the Rank Trust, along with
local fund-raising, helped achieve the target. The old
building was retiled to match the new, and the cost of
seating was reduced by transferring some of the pews
from the original chapel. To meet the budget, however,
one small sacrifice had to be made: the new church is
three feet six inches shorter than originally planned.
An opening service took place at 4.00pm on Wednesday,
29th August 1956.
As more people moved into the village and began
attending the church, the 1960s saw further building
work. A new schoolroom was added to the north side of
the premises, at a cost of £1400. The opening and
dedication took place on Saturday, 25th
January 1969. Even with this addition, during the 1970s
the lively junior church filled every room in the